My Photo
Name:
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire, United States

Monday, October 29, 2007

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SEEKS TO SILENCE A MIDDLE EAST CRITIC BY ERASING HIM FROM THE 2008 ELECTION FOR U. S. SENATOR IN ILLINOIS

ANDY MARTIN
“He Works for the People of Illinois”
Republican for U. S. Senator
Suite 4406, 30 E. Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611-4723
Toll-free tel. (866) 706-2639
Toll-free fax (866) 707-2639
Web site: www.AndyforUSSenator.com
E-mail: mailto:AndyforIllinois@aol.com

October 30, 2007

Wade Thompson, Esq.
Jenner & Block
330 N. Wabash Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
via fax (312) 840-8713

Re: Martin v. Associated Press, Chicago Tribune
Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois
Docket No. 06 CH 1162

Latest antics by your client The Associated Press

Dear Mr. Thompson:

Today I filed nominating petitions in Springfield as a statewide candidate for United States Senator in the Republican Party primary.

In a stunning act of arrogance, and very likely a federal election law violation, the AP mentioned the filing of my primary opponent but erased my existence as a candidate from the news dispatch. See http://www.bnd.com/326/story/165356.html.

My understanding was that the AP reported “news,” or facts, and did not use its franchise to engage in retaliatory behavior or doctor the news to suit the AP’s private agenda. To erase a candidate from an election report smacks of Soviet-era Russia.

I believe that the legal standard of a “reasonable person” would conclude that the AP is trying to destroy my candidacy for federal office in retaliation for my exposing AP’s biased reporting in Springfield and Chicago. As such, your actions constitute a contribution to my opponent since you have targeted a specific candidate and you are seeking to use the AP’s media power to destroy that candidate through erasure.

In the long run, your client's actions may be counterproductive. AP's acts of corporate arrogance and abuse of media power are more likely to make me a hero than a villain. People know the American news media is biased and corrupt; your client is only proving my accusations. Indeed, in the above-encaptioned lawsuit, set for hearing in December, I specifically alleged that AP had directed its reporters to censor any news of my campaign and to exclude me from the AP Daybook. AP's latest actions seem to confirm the allegations in my lawsuit.

Americans are not fighting and dying in the Middle East so your firm can feel free to disseminate lies around the world. For shame.

Before I file suit I would like to (i) request a written and public apology and retraction from AP and a written agreement to cease and desist from future harassment and abuse; to (ii) notify you that AP’s actions appear to constitute an unlawful campaign contribution to a federal campaign, namely my opponent; and to (iii) advise you that if necessary I will be filing suit in Sangamon County where the false news originated.

AP subscribers have a right to believe that AP is providing impartial, accurate and complete factual news concerning election events. AP has now breached that covenant with its subscribers, as well as the public. I aim to see your client is made to obey the law. I will afford you up to and including November 5th to respond before I take further action.

I believe the behavior of your client is childish, self-destructive and profoundly ill-advised. Is AP acting on the basis of your legal counsel?

Sincerely yours,


ANDY MARTIN

AM:sp

cc: General Counsel, The Associated Press
450 W. 33rd St., New York, NY 10001

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home