My Photo
Name:
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire, United States

Thursday, February 08, 2007

ANDY MARTIN MAKES U. S. SENATOR DICK DURBIN AN OFFER HE CAN'T REFUSE:

ANDY MARTIN
The Right Republican for
U. S. Senator from Illinois/2008
Suite 4406, 30 E. Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611-4723
Toll-free tel. (866) 706-2639
Toll-free fax (866) 707-2639
Web site: www.AndyforUSSenator.com
E-mail: AndyMart20@aol.com

February 8, 2007

Senator Dick Durbin
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510
Via fax (202) 228-0400

Dear Dick:

One of your highly paid munchkins, Mike Daly, was quoted by Lynn Sweet today in the Chicago Sun-Times as saying you don’t have an opponent in 2008.

I beg to differ.

It is hard to believe that it is now 41 years since we worked together for Senator Paul Douglas, you in Springfield, I in Washington.

I salute your political success. But, if I had to change places, I don’t think I would. I have led an interesting life. And in the words of Robert Frost, that has made all the difference. I suspect I will be Senator Douglas’ sentimental favorite in 2008.

And, amazingly after 42 years it appears we will probably meet as opponents in 2008. Unless the political establishment scares up an opponent for me in the Republican primary.

Lynn Sweet quoted your over-the-top e-mail fund raising appeal. Who writes that malarkey for you? Do you really believe that crap?

Money, money, money. Maybe you should audition for the role of host in the musical Cabaret.

And there is a sinister evil in your efforts to raise tens of millions of dollars.

Millions and millions of dollars will be directed at bribing you to support Israel, to continue a bloody occupation, to prevent establishment of a Palestinian state and, ultimately, to keep the Middle East in perpetual turmoil because that is what Israel’s supporters mistakenly believe serves their interests.

Again, I beg to differ.

I favor immediate Israeli withdrawal from Palestine, not immediate American withdrawal from Iraq. The Andy Martin Peace Plan was first promulgated in 2000 and it has stood the test of time. It will be a centerpiece of my campaign.

I suspect that if you sent out an honest fund raising letter, saying you would vote for peace in Palestine as well as Iraq, and will no longer blindly endorse Israeli government use of cluster bomb units (CBU’s) against civilians, your fundraising river would shrink to a trickle.

I remember how Chuck Percy was crucified in his reelection campaign, merely because he supported a balanced Middle East policy.

And so I have an offer for you. An offer you shouldn’t refuse.

I can't guarantee, of course, that I will be the Republican nominee. But, if I am, let’s eliminate campaign spending and campaign as two friends across the state of Illinois, two friends who differ on the issues but two friends who love Illinois, love America and respect the democratic process.

Let's do Douglas proud.

We could actually enjoy ourselves. You would appreciate being able to say what you really think, instead of what your contributors want you to think. For myself, I have never been accused of towing anyone’s line.

Let’s keep just enough money, perhaps $100,000, to cover motel rooms, gas and wear and tear on the vans, maybe the odd plane ticket.

No need to run around the country begging for money.

I realize this would give you an advantage. But I offer you that handicap because as a Fighting Illini, I think I can neutralize the advantage and beat you while still remaining a friend.

All the money in the world couldn’t save the Republican Party in 2006 because my colleagues were on the wrong side of history. Your Middle East policy is also on the wrong side of history. Fifty million dollars can’t save you if you stand against the truth.

I said at the beginning of this letter I have enjoyed life. I have. I have never had to beg contributors for money, never had to sell my soul, never had to grovel for support when I know what I was doing was morally compromised. Most respectfully, I suggest that your Middle East policies are morally compromised.

The idiots in the Bush White House once said that “The road to Jerusalem lies through Baghdad.” Now they know better. “The road to Jerusalem lies through peace. And Washington.”

Let’s come together as friends, to campaign for democracy. We will be swinging hard at each other on the issues, very hard. I don’t support many of your left-wing prescriptions for our future, and you don't support my honest belief in more limited government.

By the way, if you want to put me on your campaign e-mail list, I’ll put you on mine. I can promise you that my letters and statements make for better reading because I write them myself. If we agree to forego campaign spending, you’ll have to write your own material as well.

And don't go out and scare all of your pro-Israel voters by telling them that Andy Martin, a supporter of Palestinian national rights, is running against you. I am a supporter of human rights, for both Israelis and Palestinians.

Let’s go back to the honest, open way politics used to be practiced. Let Illinois lead the way to a national renewal, to a revival of Lincoln-Douglas. Let’s make Durbin-Martin a future watchword for honest politics and open campaigning on the issues, not the money.

As always, I wish you the best. If I win the Republican nomination I will be an honorable opponent and I hope you will be the same.

From way back in 1966,

ANDY MARTIN


AM:sp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home